This page and all related to it provides an outline of the Fleet Ship Classes to which other pages will eventually be linked with more detailed information. Not all ships that served Canada are listed - for example, the USN submarines loaned to Canada.
Note also that a number of the earlier ships such as the Cruisers, Tribal and “C” Class destroyers were built in the U.K. as, indeed, were the Carriers and, subsequently, the Canadian submarines.
A number of the Minesweepers were sold to be converted into yachts or commercial vessels.
The Iroquois Class (DDH 280’s) has been used as a prototype showing what may be included in the detail pages. This area of the site is very much a work in progress.
Cruisers - 2
ONTARIO (MINOTAUR) -
Light Carriers - 3
Tribal Class - 8
- ATHABASKAN (first Tribal in that Class with that name).
- ATHABASKAN II (the second Tribal to bear the name)
V Class Destroyers - 2
C Class Destroyers - 2
Prestonian Class Frigates FFE’s - 24
- BEACON HILL
- NEW WATERFORD
- LA HULLOISE
- INCH ARRAN
- STE. THERESE
- FORT ERIE
- NEW GLASGOW
- CAP DE LA MADELEINE
- ST. STEPHEN
- ST. CATHARINES
Icebreakers - 1
St. Laurent Class DDE - later - Improved St. Laurent Class DDH - 7
- ST. LAURENT
- ST. LAURENT (Improved)
Bay Class Minesweepers - 14
- COMOX (sold after 3 years service to a foreign navy)
- FORTUNE (sold after 10 years service into mercantile service)
- GASPÉ (sold after 4 years service to a foreign navy)
- JAMES BAY
- TRINITY (sold after 3 years service to a foreign navy)
- UNGAVA (sold after 4 years service to a foreign navy)
Escort Maintenance Vessels 2
- CAPE BRETON
- CAPE SCOTT
Oberon Class Submarines - 3
Restigouche Class DDE’s - 7
- ST. CROIX
- TERRA NOVA
MacKenzie Class DDE’s - 4
Annapolis Class DDH’s - 2
- PROVIDER - 1963-1998
- BRAS D’OR
Iroquois Class and TRUMPed DDH 280’s
There were many photos taken during the building of IROQUOIS and HURON in Marine Industries, Sorel/Tracy, PQ.
- HURON - After a good period of service on the West Coast, HURON was decommissioned, mothballed and then designated as a target for a Can/US joint Sinkex off the west coast.
- ATHABASKAN - the third RCN destroyer with that name.
Canadian Patrol Frigates FFH - 12
- VANCOUVER -
- VILLE DE QUEBEC
- ST. JOHN’S
Kingston Class Coastal Defence Vessels MCDV’s - 12
- KINGSTON -
- GLACE BAY
- GOOSE BAY
Victoria Class Submarines - 4
- VICTORIA -
Orca Class (8) A note on the Haze Grey & Under Way website states that these craft will not be commissioned into the Navy, nor will they officially be part of the auxiliary fleet.